“Best Photographers in Banff” —Lux Wedding Awards 2017 & 2018
“Best Wedding Photography Team: Canadian Rockies” —Global Wedding Awards
36 International awards for outstanding photography from some of the best associations in the industry Wedding & Portrait Photographers International (WPPI), Master Photographers International (MPI) and the International Society Professional Wedding Photographers (ISPWP).
Recognized by WPPI as “an emerging photographer to watch” in 2017.
Nominated for “Photographer of the Year” 2017 by MPI.
See for yourself why we earned these prestigious awards and what that means for YOU.
“Most of my comments from people who see our pictures are “is this even real?” and “these look like they came straight out of a magazine! They are that stunning.” —Stephanie Fox, Seattle, WA
“We didn’t have to worry about posing or getting creative shots or anything at all! We knew that they are amazing at what they do and we fully trusted them. Our images are absolutely gorgeous. They are unique, fun and sexy all at once. ” —Crystal Lehnert, Calgary, AB
- You can relax knowing you are hiring talented and experienced award-winning creatives who won’t make a mess of your wedding day!
- Your wedding pictures will be unique and exceptional.
- Let’s face it, having your wedding pictures win awards and be published in magazines is fun.
Be it an hour portrait session or a multi-day wedding, We’re always pushing ourselves to create something outstanding for you.
“We looked like models!” —Lorena Landriault, Fort McMurry, AB
“They made my bride and me feel extremely comfortable – which I will admit is a challenge as I hate having my photo taken.”— Alex Briton, Calgary, AB
- You will have us as your personal “sexiness handlers” to guide & direct to look your best.
- With our coaching, you will feel natural and confident in front of the camera.
- What may have been a stress on your mind—posing for your wedding portraits— will turn out to be a ton of fun!
Doesn’t that sound GREAT?
All our photographs are of real brides and grooms, not models, who were nervous & felt awkward when we began our photo session.
They all rocked it and you will too!
All it takes is some stagecraft, direction, and skillful lighting.
“I’m blushing looking at my own photos. I never knew I could do that let alone look like that! Your work is amazing and the experience was incredible, empowering, fun, liberating. I will never forget it!”—Amanda Pawson, Calgary AB
“My husband and I are a little awkward when we pose but they posed us perfectly and you would never know how awkward we actually are!” —Zoe Bauer, Edmonton, AB
- Your wedding—one of the most significant days you will ever experience— will be captured in pictures that live up to the hype.
- Your wedding pictures will evoke nostalgic tears when you see them, be the first things you grab if your house is on fire and the things your children will fight over having when you are old & gray.
This is what goes through my mind when I make pictures for you. If your wedding pictures don’t mean as much to you, then we really aren’t a good match for each other.
Save yourself some money and find someone else. They’ll probably be much cheaper.
“Shirleen & Troy put their heart and soul into our wedding and the pictures show it.” —Christina & Wayne, Calgary AB
“I just finished looking over our wedding pictures and there are literally tears in my eyes. The pictures are gorgeous! You captured so beautifully every moment. Everyone looks so beautiful. I will cherish these forever. ” Liesl & Craig, Calgary, AB
- You’ll have show-stopping pictures of your wedding you’ll want everyone to see.
- Your pictures will stand out from the thousands that all look “the same”.
- You’ll have beautiful art to hang on your wall that will remind you how exciting your wedding day was and how gorgeous you looked.
“We were absolutely shocked by how amazing ALL of her pictures turned out.” —Claudia & Jason Hagrave, Mississauga, ON
“Oh my goodness, Our wedding pictures are the most beautiful photos I have ever seen (biased yes but they are BEAUtIFUL!)
—Zoe Bauer, Edmonton, AB
“Shirleen and her husband, Troy, worked as a team, and I have to say that hanging out with them was a joy. They made the experience fun and relaxing as they took us around to their favorite spots around Banff, including many areas we likely would not have seen had we been on our own” —Sarah Yang, San Francisco, CA
- You will have the best of the areas most beautiful locations for your engagement and wedding portraits.
- You can relax, knowing that from Banff’s most popular landmarks to hidden gems along a road less traveled, we can take you there.
- You will have access to a rich variety of places to retreat to as back up should the weather turn bad or the crowds get too crazy.
- I have already been stalked by a cougar. What are the odds of that happening again? Statistically, when it comes to having a wildlife encounter with a large carnivorous predator, I am the safest wedding photographer you can hire!
Wilderness. It’s what makes this area so unique.
Who knows the wilderness better than the director of the Wildland Field Studies Program, your very own photographer, Professor Troy Burnett? (Yes. He moonlights. I look the other way.)
Troy has spent countless hours surveying the movement of animals off the beaten path in the wildlife corridor between Canmore and Lake Louise. This has provided ample opportunity to discover beautiful, isolated locations for us to take our clients. We are always on the lookout for such hidden gems.
“Our wedding was in Lake Louis where Shirleen new all the best spots for photographs. She drove us around in her car (we didn’t have a car) to nearby lakes and specific spots. She would literally stop on the side of the road to take pictures with this exotic looking tree, or jump over bushes just to make sure the light and angle was right!”—Claudia Hargrave, Ontario, Canada
” The final photos are absolutely gorgeous, and her knowledge of the area helped in finding the perfect shot for the weather conditions. ” —Brian & Chung-Wai Lau, Vancouver, B.C.
- We know how to showcase both you and the epic scenery around you.
- You will have beautiful pictures even in bad weather, low lighting and other non-optimal conditions, in any location, because we are experts in lighting and use multi-light systems.
- We are not dependent upon natural light only!
Couples have mountain weddings because of the mountains! Now, before you call me Captain Obvious, have you noticed just how many wedding pictures found on-line showcase the bride & groom, but the incredible scenery behind them is all washed out? That’s because, in order to capture both you and the background, you need great lighting.
Photographers who only work with natural light are limited and their pictures prove it.
Light is my poetry; it’s the tool for making signature art that’s fearless, unique and showcases both you and the majestic beauty of the area.
“We looked blissful in our wedding photos, our guests looked enchanted, and all that in the midst a weather chaos.” —Amelia Stratton, Bolinas, California
“From the moment we first contacted her, Shirleen was absolutely wonderful to work with. She worked with us to make sure that we get exactly what we wanted, and her suggestions were spot on what we were looking for.” —Brian Wai, Edmonton, AB
“Shirleen’s talent shines through her pictures but her sweetness is unmeasurable! I would highly recommend her and I am happy we had her on our wedding day. It was one of the best decisions we’ve ever made .” —Lorena Landriault, Fort McMurry, AB
Our images showcase both you and the spectacular scenery
“They were honestly the nicest people my husband and I have ever met. They were incredibly accommodating and easy going about everything. As long as we were happy, they were happy.” —Zoey & Mike Rumsey, Edmonton, AB
Our job is so much more than just taking pictures. 🙂
- You will have a wedding photography team that guards you with the focus and devotion of a Japanese Akita (the traditional war dogs of Samurai warriors) from any unwanted chaos and drama that may unfold during the day.
- You will be shielded in a bubble of contagious, euphoric optimism and good cheer.
- Your wedding day will run as smooth as possible because we will be downright uncanny in our resourcefulness in problem-solving to make it so.
Our wedding day will be a larger-than-life, magical experience. It literally takes your breath away it is so exciting.
But it is also stressful. Weddings are their own special kind of stress.
Keeping you happy, relaxed and mindful of every exquisite moment that passes on your wonderful day is an integral part of our job.
True Stories: I’ve been known to put down my camera to give shoulder massage to stressed-out brides. (I was both a teacher of meditation and a massage therapist for 15 years.)
Troy once pulled out his computer and completely rescheduled a flight that was missed by the bride’s sister the night before the wedding. (His family worked for Delta and he knows a few tricks!)
“Shirleen was an invaluable wedding planning resource for us, providing us with recommendations and answering all of our questions! During the early days of planning, we had reached out to our top choice for marriage officiant and had been turned down; Shirleen made a personal phone call and he opened up his availability for us!” — Donna Gersbach, Edmonton, AB
“Troy & Shirleen were always cheerful, happy, creative, and doing everything they could to make your wedding day go easy and smooth. They worked from the morning till the party finished at night, still with smiles on their faces…” —Basia Marshal, Punta Cana wedding, DR
“Shirleen was SO accommodating and such a joy right from the beginning; we emailed and Skyped several times leading up to our big day to work out the details. When the big day finally came and we met Shirleen and Troy in person, I knew we had picked the right people.”— Stephanie Fox, Seattle, Washington
“Shirleen is not just an amazing photographer, she is a kind-hearted, energetic, fun loving, amazing person who’s a delight to have around.” —Claudia Hargrave, Mississauga, ON
“Shirleen and Troy have such a lovely spirit, still to this day, they are love birds after how many years of marriage?! Who wouldn’t want to be photographed by Love Birds on YOUR wedding day!” —Basia Marshall, Canmore, AB
- You can relax knowing all your photographers are experienced, qualified professionals who work seamlessly together as a team.
- You don’t have to worry about conflicts between 2 photographers who haven’t worked together before your wedding day! (Yes, this happens)
- You enjoy all the benefits of having two creatives capturing every moment of your wedding in a rich variety of images and perspectives.
Everyone knows that two photographers are better than one. (Anyone telling you otherwise is fooling himself and YOU!) After working solo in the industry, I realized that despite all the creativity, passion and effort you put into your work, no one photographer can do a wedding justice. There is just too much going on for any one person to capture.
Two sets of eyes and two extra hands make the difference between a good job and a phenomenal one.
As a husband and wife team, you know exactly who & what you are getting. Troy and I have worked together for years, we’ve known each other for decades, we love and care about each other and work hard to realize our dream—which is to wow you with our images, kindness, and service.
This is a whole lot more than you can expect from a photographer who will hire a “second shooter” simply to make the numbers happen.
Check out this article on the benefits of having 2 photographers: Second Wedding Photographer—Do you need one?
“There are few people that can bring the best out in everyone they meet. Shirleen has that gift.” —Amelia Stratton, Bolinas, California
Nothing captures the feel of your wedding day better than a mix of pictures and moving film. The entire experience is brought to life again with meaningful and wonderfully irreverent snippets of “the scenes behind the scenes”—key moments artistically curated in a HD movie that tells the complete story of your day.
Our in-house cinematographer, Paul Sankar, works seamlessly in our team.
Together we can capture all facets of your day providing you with both a beautiful album and emotion packed movie to relive it all forever.
“I am SOOO thankful that they captured it (our wedding) in photos & videos putting together a movie of the day. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched it and cried!” —Basia Marshall, AB, Ca“Shirleen and Troy made us a video that included snippets of video and pictures from the day. I cannot possibly describe how much this video means to me. It is so perfect and wonderful, I just have no other words to properly tell you what that video means to Mike and I.” —Zoey Bauer, Edmonton, AB
“We were absolutely shocked by how amazing ALL of her pictures turned out. She did a video that made us smile with tears. Without Shirleen we would not have such beautiful memories of our wedding. Shirleen is not just an amazing photographer, she is a kind-hearted, energetic, fun loving, amazing person who’s a delight to have around.” —Claudia Hargrave, Ontario, Canada
- Our wedding images will be delightfully surprising and unexpected!
- You don’t have to worry about us being too pushy or obtrusive.
Like ninjas, we appear where you least expect us!
We are fearless in creating pictures that are unique.
And, we do all this with stealth and aplomb.
In this Trash the Dress session, Troy was in a sink hole—the water at times up to his neck!—staying alive and doing his part to light the image from behind. That’s the level of commitment you’ll get from us at Burnett Photography—and the result was worth it.
“During the ceremony they caught every precious moment! I didn’t see or hear them throughout the whole thing!” — Zoe Rumsey, Edmonton, AB
“Thank you Shirleen & Troy for EVERYTHING!!! You are our Ninja Photographers!” —Basia & Chris Marshal, Canmore, AB
“There are few people that can bring the best out in everyone they meet. Shirleen has that gift.” —Amelia Stratton, Bolinas, California